Note: This project is current a work in progress. This page is likely to change as I progress.
The goal of this project is to build a set of “musical” floppy disk drives. That is, to be able to use a floppy disk drive as an instrument that plays notes via MIDI. Using a few of these drives I can even play entire songs.
- Part 1: Getting Started with Musical Floppy Drives
- Part 2: Building Custom Floppy Drive Power Cables
- Part 3: Building Musical Floppy Drive Breakout Boards
- Part 4: 8 Musical Floppy Drives In Action
- Part 5: Controlling Musical Floppy Drives Directly via MIDI
The software that drives the musical floppy drives is Moppy by SammyIAm. You can find the GitHub repository here.