For one of my recent projects, I needed a way to control some lights powered by a 120V household wall socket. Rather than reverse-engineering some commercial “smart outlets” for the task, I decided to try and do this the old-fashioned way by embedding relays in electrical boxes.
I’ve been trying to teach myself a little Python, and here’s what I came up with for my first small project. Using their respective APIs, I’ve built a plugin for the Prismatik ambilight software that maps live data from the iRacing simulator. A video demonstrates the end result far better than I can explain it:
The McCree controller is done! Now it’s time to take a break and do a little postmortem: what worked well, what didn’t, and what I would do differently next time.
The McCree controller is so close to being done! There’s one last change to make: swapping out the DDR dance pad for a faster controller. That ‘faster controller’ is going to be a Wii Nunchuk, the one-handed extension controller for Nintendo’s 7th generation console.
When the Nintendo Wii was released in 2006, there was a lot of talk about their new weird control system. In place of a typical control pad, players would use a one-handed “remote” with infrared sensors and accelerometers in place of a joystick. For those games that required additional controls, players would use an accessory controller in their off-hand.
This ‘accessory’ controller is the Nunchuk. A strange, bean-shaped attachment with a joystick, two buttons, and a three-axis accelerometer. Although the Nunchuk had a lukewarm response when it was first released, it’s the perfect controller for makers who want to add some fine control to their projects.
Although I’m writing this post with Arduino in mind, most of this information also applies to using a Nunchuk with something like a Raspberry Pi or an ARM-based board.
Let’s get started!
The time is finally here! After a short hiatus to work on the McCree Hammershot project, I’m back to building my time circuits. The display circuit boards have arrived and it’s time to get them assembled and running!
Although the controller is now operational, it has a few bugs that need to be ironed out and a couple of controls that need to be tweaked to make the game more playable. I learned a lot from the playtests so now it’s time to make some changes.
There are three problems with the controller that need to be fixed: the flashbang, the aiming accuracy, and the aiming speed.