It’s been about a year and a half since I completed the last site redesign, switching from the stock WordPress “Twenty Sixteen” theme to Anima, by Cryout Creations. Anima has worked well for the time I’ve used it, but it too is starting to feel a bit dated. Rather than keep fiddling with the theme and trying to twist it into something new, I’m jumping ship entirely and switching to a new theme: Hestia.
It’s the new year! A time of rebirth and renewal, where we put aside the past and look eagerly towards the future. In that spirit, I’ve been redesigning some of the website and reworking a few things that have, up until now, been set in stone. Just a few days ago I completely revamped the website’s taxonomy, building a new categories list and even changing the permalinks structure. Today we’re continuing that journey by replacing the original website logo, which hasn’t changed since I created this site a little over 3 years ago.
Nearing the end of 2019, I realized that this website had become a bit of a mess. Posts were scattered all over the place, categories were poorly labeled and poorly organized, and the permalinks had a mind of their own. The website was not set up well for either hosting or sharing my content, and it was making me reluctant to post new things. So I decided to fix it.
It’s been a little over two years since I started this blog to share some of the DIY projects I’ve been working on. In that time I’ve built a ton of cool stuff, including an ambilight, a Nerf gun controller for Overwatch, and a DIY stream deck. This has all been documented in-depth and shared from this blog – which by and large hasn’t changed. It’s time to remedy that and give the blog a much needed coat of paint.